For the month of March, the opportunity came up for me to attend a major league soccer game with my mom, sister and sister's friend. I, never having been a major soccer fan (other than just loving David Beckham, which had NOTHING to do with soccer), wasn't really interested. But, I figured that it was something new and different I've never experienced before and, having turned down the opportunity twice before this, decided to make a go of it.
When we arrived at the stadium, it seemed there were thousands of people in a sea of red, navy blue and gold and I felt very out of my element as people clustered around talking about famous soccer plays and dropping players names. But, I knew it was just part of the total experience, so I just smiled and nodded where appropriate.
We finally got into the stadium and found our seats and I was surprised at how big the stadium actually was. I didn't think it was going to be. I was also surprised at how COLD it was! Within minutes, we were freezing! Thank goodness we remembered our winter coats, hats, gloves and some blankets!
As the game started, I immediately recognized just how good the SL Real actually were. I was impressed. But, I was more excited that I was actually getting to witness David Beckham running around the field! By half time, however, I was beginning to think that the LA Galaxy were not doing so well. The Real were winning, 2-0.
The second half proved to be much of the same. The Real were definitely on their game, where the Galaxy were not. However, I DO have to note that the Galaxy scored one goal during the second half and I was the only one on the entire side of the stadium who stood up and screamed and yelled and jumped around for joy. Yes, I made a fool of myself in my elation, and got booed. I was booed at a major league soccer game. And when the drunk guy in front of me turned around and started singing the Real chant, I started chanting "LA Galaxy" right back at him. It's not that I'm an LA fan as much as I'm just a Beckham fan. Had Beckham been playing for someone else, I would have been cheering them. I don't think the hundreds of Real fans surrounding me knew that though as they booed and yelled at me. Of course, I was nonplussed by this and continued to cheer for Beckham throughout the rest of the game.
I need to say though, at this point, my mom leaned over to me and said, "If Galaxy wins, you cannot brag as we leave the stadium. You will get jumped." :) Turns out... she had nothing to fear. Real beat Galaxy 4-1.
My opinion: I don't think I'll be going again. Don't get me wrong, it was fun enough. But, unless Beckham is playing, I don't have much interest. And the only other time he'll be playing the Real again will be in LA.
So, March's new and different: It was fun, but won't be on the instant replay anytime soon!


I am so JEALOUS!!!!!! It is a dream of mine to be able to go to a major league soccer game. I love soccer so I could care less who was playing, I don't know any of the players names any way. It's amazing to go to a high school or college game and then see a major league one (which I have only ever seen on tv). The size of the fields are so different. The major league fields are HUGE, I can't even imagine being able to kick the ball as far as they do. I can't believe that you have turned down this opportunity twice before but then again I love soccer. :^)
ReplyDeleteOf Course you went ONLY to see the athlete! LOL glad you had fun. Did you do anything else fun while you were there? How are you doing...really? Miss you tons. Wish i had you around closer to chat with, but so glad you are having a great time with your friends and family!
ReplyDelete