This week's post is really hard for me. Not because the topic itself is difficult, but because the vast expanse of possibilities for topics is hard for me. I'm not typically a decision maker and so for me to have a Free Write week is the hardest week. I want to say something profound, but I want to be witty and funny too. I want to talk about something totally meaningful and explain why it's meaningful, but I can't come to any conclusion as to what I should say. Isn't that terrible?
The whole purpose for forcing myself to blog once a week was to get myself writing again. I am a writer. Most people don't know that about me. Someday, I may finish a novel, but probably not. But, because I became so overwhelmed a while ago with writing my novel, I put it aside and virtually stopped writing all together. And what do we know about talents we have or would like to acquire? If you don't use them, you lose them, right?
So, in an effort to keep the juices flowing and thereby keep myself from getting rusty, I am forcing myself to write. Yes, this post is proving to be sort of mindless babbling to others, but for me, it is good practice.
I have a quote that hangs in a frame in my room, right by my desk that says:
"If you write, you're a writer. To a certain degree, being published is a matter of luck, so don't let that get you down. Call yourself a writer and respect yourself." ~Bob Mayer
I write because I want to be a writer. And because I can't force myself to get back to my novel, I have no other choice but to force myself elsewhere. Make sense?
I hope that this monthly Free Write section won't turn into mindless drivel every month, but become the outlet for me to be less structured and therefore practice in other ways and to demonstrate to myself that I can write still without having to work on a specific end goal.
We'll see how it goes.
The next couple weeks will be devoid of posts, I'm warning of that now. My family and I are going on a Southern Caribbean cruise and will be out of town for a little while. Thank goodness for house sitters who are going to stay with the dogs so we can do this. It's going to be a much needed vacation from the mundanes of everyday living.... Oh... and I'm taking my novel, some paper and a pencil. Let's hope the turquoise water, white sand and warm sun provide some inspiration!
Cinnamon Roll Bubble Bites
3 months ago


No comments:
Post a Comment