Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Monday, May 7, 2012

The Time the Floor Beat Me Up....

So, I have this boyfriend (more to come on him later, in a different post), who's family came at the beginning of April to visit and to watch Conference. This boyfriend of mine has a sister in law who's family lives around here (and who I've known since I was a little girl) and so they all get together to play softball and volleyball between and after sessions of Conference. So, I decided that I was going to go along and play volleyball with them.

I consider myself to be pretty decent at playing volleyball and have this awesome spike that I call the "Death Spike" where I am playing on the front line right up next to the net and when the ball is set just right, I jump up and spike the ball. It's the "Death Spike" because normally no one sees it coming, except the floor. Well.... here's how it went down...

Someone had me play on the opposing team from said boyfriend. And someone put me on the front line in the corner right across from said boyfriend's father who is a tall man. And someone set the ball up just right. So... in other words, the stage was set. I had to use my famous "Death Spike". There was NO other option.

The ball came to me, I jumped up, I spiked the ball... and.... I landed with my right foot under me and came down with all my weight on an ankle that was already twisted. As I came down, I could literally feel all the tendons, ligaments and cartiledge becoming tangled up in there like spagetti.

I went down and sat for a few minutes trying not to cry, throw up or pass out. I was doing the labor breathing... no kidding. It was a mess and I knew it. When we lifted my pant leg up, my foot had already swelled and looked like I shoved a baseball under my skin. Lovely.

Here are some pics, because you know you are all morbidly curious....



This was about 2 1/2 hours after it happened.




The next afternoon. 24 hours later.




The swelling is truly a thing of beauty




About a week later



This was about 2 weeks later. The bruising was apparently on the bottom of my foot too. I couldn't see it because I couldn't twist my ankle to be able to see the bottom.


2 weeks later



2 weeks later.

It has now been just over 5 weeks since that lovely "Death Spike" and I realize now that while, yes, I DID actually score the point, it was really the floor that won. I got beat up by the gym floor. I can walk on it and move it, but it's been a slow process. I still can't twist it to look at the bottom of my foot. It's still swollen, albeit, not quite like it was. And I still have to wear a brace on it for stability.

Grr... Lesson learned.

1 comment:

  1. Spenc had a similar experience. It was bad. his foot looked very similar to yours. I am glad that it is getting better.

    ReplyDelete